Friday, March 19, 2010

I've Been Thinking About Bridges Lately...


BRIDGE:


Etymology:
Old English brycge -- "causeway over a ravine or river"
From Proto-Indo-European word bhru -- "log or beam"



Definition:
A structure that allows people or vehicles to cross an obstacle such as a river, canal or railway etc.

Tallest Bridge in the World:
Millau Viaduct, France: 1,125 feet high


Longest Bridge in the World:
Weinan Weihe Grand Bridge, China: 261,588 feet long


Other Famous Bridges:
Sydney Harbor Bridge, Australia:



London Tower Bridge, England:


Golden Gate Bridge, United States:


So when you're riding home tonight,
Make for the bridge with all your might!
For once you cross that bridge, my friend,
The Ghost is through, his power ends!
-- Disney's Ichabod Crane








Under the Bridge downtown
Forgot about my love
Under the Bridge downtown
I threw my life away
-- Red Hot Chili Peppers



I know a man who may need a new assignment
to hand in his heart and take his last vacation
attempting to spoil imagination
if anyone ever wonders where he went
I wouldn't say that he spent his time driving over
burning, burning, burning bridges
-- Jason Mraz




When darkness comes
And pain is all around,
Like a bridge over troubled water,
I will lay me down
-- Paul Simon




I've seen the bridge and the bridge is long
And they built it high and they built it strong
Strong enough to hold the weight of time
Long enough to leave some of us behind

And every one of us has to face that day
Do you cross the bridge or do you fade away
And every one of us that ever came to play
Has to cross the bridge or fade away
Standing on the bridge looking at the waves
Seen so many jump, never seen one saved
On a distant beach your song can die
On a bitter wind, on a cruel tide

And the bridge it shines
Oh cold hard iron
Saying come and risk it all
Or die trying
-- Elton John


I think it's interesting that when you type in "burning bridges" on Google Images, you don't get a bunch of pictures of bridges covered in flames. In fact, it took me a very long time to even find one picture of an actual burning bridge. So, what does this mean?

It means the idea of a "burning bridge" is a mindset. It's a symbol of a decision that cannot be taken back, no matter how much you want to.

So, what are the bridges I have burned, recently?

Relationships I have had. How many words have I said that I wish I could take back? How many times have I forgotten someone or something important? The worst feeling of all: Knowing that these decisions effect the way people feel about me. Reputations are ruined, lies are spread, and nothing is ever the same. The words "too late" ring like an echo in my head. Too late. The bridge is burned. Of course, there are some that can be rebuilt, but any project like that takes time, patience, and a lot of hope. It also takes work, something I don't like doing.

In the meantime, there are also bridges I have yet to cross. Experiences, journeys, relationships. All will have trials I need to cross over. In the meantime, are there others out there who are wading through trouble waters? Can I be a bridge?

The answer: Yes I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment