Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hello and a Hat

I have recently been invited to contribute to this blog and I am muy muy muy excited for this opportunity to talk about some of my favorite things: My clothes.

I should tell you that a lot of the stuff I wear I find at thrift stores or down in my basement. So while completely duplicating my look may be difficult, I hope to emphasize that a unique look can be created just by looking around the house and looking in the cheapest places possible. Really. Some of the coolest stuff I have found has been in my mom's dress-up box. Also, it's not a crime to make something yourself. I have limited sewing skills. REALLY limited sewing skills. But I, like almost everyone else in America, can take a scissors, cut out a piece of fabric, and tie it around my neck for a scarf. I can bead a few cool charms onto a chain. I can iron on a patch or applique to a purse or a pair of pants. I can tie my hair up in a knot on top of my head and scatter a few butterfly clips here and there. That's not hard. Fashion doesn't have to be hard. Have fun.

Okay now for my first item I wish to share in my collection:


THE HAT




Nothing fancy, really. Just an old, generic hat I found in the lost and found at my high school. No one claimed it, so I just took it and gave it a home. The feathers were also found, this time up in the catacombs of my high school theater costume shop. I suppose I should have actually TOLD my superiors that I was taking them, but you think they would have figured it out by the way I was playing around with them as I left for home. I was rubbing it in their faces! The next day I wore them in the hat and they still said nothing. I do believe I am helping them achieve their full potential far more than they ever could have in the moldy costume shop. All I did was pin one side of the hat up and stick the white plumes in the fold. I have collected quite a few feathers of different colors and styles together to add some variety.


When I put the hat and the plumes together, my initial thought was "PIRATE." Pirates are a key inspiration for me in what I wear. Of course I don't go as far as an eyepatch and wooden leg, but the hat provides a nice piratical touch. Furthermore, it's quite the gimmick out here on BYU campus. Boys comment on it all the time. "Hey Pirate-Girl!" But I now realize there are far more things I can do with an all-purpose black hat. Flowers, pins, feathers, ribbons... the possibilities are endless!! You may be seeins some of these variations in later posts.

But for now, I'll stick to the Hat Piratical


Some of my many feathers. Beer bottles and Jack Sparrows make for a great piratey scene.




Here it is in action: Pirate Island in Provo, Utah. With a white sash around the brim.




Woods of Burnsville, Minnesota






----- Hannah -----

No comments:

Post a Comment