Sunday, March 27, 2011

30-Day Song Challenge: Day 17 -- A Song I hear Often on the Radio

Nelly's "Just a Dream," which deserves its popularity, I think.




While I'm at it, I think I should say something about what people like to call "pop music." I know a lot of people who disregard Top 40 songs as crap and worthless and uninspired. I would have to disagree. I think all pop music has one major thing in common: they are built to sell, and meant to be embraced by the lowest common denominator. Pop artists are not catering to snobs, they're catering to ordinary people -- often youth. True, the same four-chord melodies are used over and over again, but look at how wonderfully they've mastered the use of that chord to make songs unique and new! The intent is for the song to be catchy, triumphant, and empathetic. I think that the success pop artists have had in creating music that fits this mold are very talented. When something is popular, it's usually for a reason, and believe it or not, the reason is sometimes very understandable. Yeah, I believe pop singers lead ridiculous lifestyles once in a while, but so do rock stars, country singers, even classical musicians (Don't get me started on how many lovers Brahms probably had...). I think people who scorn pop music are simply afraid that if they embrace pop culture, they are submitting themselves to the power of society and "the man." It's a matter of pride to some people. So even when a great song comes along, they ignore it because it's "too mainstream."
Well, I am not going to be prideful about my musical tastes. I know a good song when I hear one, and when I hear songs like "Daynamite" by Taio Cruz, "Just a Dream" by Nelly, or even Ke$ha's "We R Who We R," I get good feelings inside. I cannot deny the legitimization of those feelings.


Listening to: the buzz of my computer
Things Going on Today: probably more homework.
Blessings: RedOne.

No comments:

Post a Comment