Saturday, January 15, 2011

When I Kick The Bucket, I Hope I Make a Field Goal


So everyone's asking me what I want to put on my "Bucket List."   I guess it's a list of things I wanna do before I die.  It took me forever to understand what they meant by the term "Bucket List," though.  What is the significance of the bucket?  Do you put all of the things on the list on figurative slips of paper and put those  slips into a figurative bucket in your brain?  Then, on a rainy day, you can pull one out and do it?  Only recently did I realize the term "Bucket List" referred to "kicking the bucket."  What a funny turn of phrase!  Turns out it has a very morbid history.  In the 1700s, a "bucket" was a beam or support on which animals were strung up by their legs for slaughter.  Kicking the bucket alluded to the panicked kicking of the animals as they met their gory deaths.
I sure hope I don't go that way, but regardless of how I go, I might as well make myself a Bucket List.  These items are in no particular order.  They're just whatever comes to my mind first.  I'm pretty sure I won't get to do ALL of these things on my list, but as my cousin Aubrey says, "It's good to have goals."

HANNAH'S BUCKET LIST:

  • See Lady Gaga in Concert
  • Own a pair of Louboutin Heels
  • Get married in the temple
  • Make a baptism dress
  • Have a child that plays the harp
  • Have sex on a beach
  • Visit the Rothko Chapel
  • Have one of my outfits published on a fashion blog
  • Perform several of my original songs in front of a considerably large audience (maybe 50 people or so...) in a public venue. 
  • Write a book about a topic of which I am expert
  • Create a mixed-media art piece
  • Be a choir teacher for junior high kids
  • Write a hundred personal diaries
  • Maintain a blog for an entire year
  • Own a Polaroid instant camera
  • Attend Grad School
  • Be a sexy dentist for a costume party
  • Write a duet with my spouse
  • Get my patriarchal blessing
  • Visit a temple outside of the United States
  • Visit someplace tropical
  • Try escargot
  • Go on a date with a woman
  • Have a meaningful conversation with a deaf person
  • Teach voice in my basement
  • Create a pirate-themed line of clothing
  • Form an a capella vocal jazz group that covers popular music
  • Learn how to play "Waterfall" by Jon Schmidt so well I could do it with my eyes closed
  • Sing "O Mio Babbino Caro" for something.
  • Marry a pianist
  • Visit the Louvre (again) 
  • Visit the MoMA
  • Be a bridesmaid
  • Have a treasure chest
  • Buy Wall-E figurines and take a series of photos using them as a theme
  • Have a ginkgo tree in my yard
  • Learn how to play a song on guitar
  • Live in a loft
  • Have the Mormon equivalent of a "one-night stand"
  • Take a picture where someone is kissing me on the cheek
  • Give blood
  • Convert someone to the Church
  • Sleep in a cemetery
  • Wear nothing but boy's clothes
  • Be in a music video
  • Direct a music video
  • Move my body freely on stage
  • Read "The Living Christ"
  • Make a daisy chain
  • Cuddle by the fire
  • Model for a painting
  • Be a muse
  • Be a mother
  • Be a teacher
  • Plan my funeral
  • See a work by Duchamp
  • Run through a field while listening to The Real Group's "Gota"
  • Sing the Killers at the top of my lungs from a high mountain
  • Eat licorice and saltines with my future spouse at a picnic
  • Receive flowers from an anonymous secret admirer
  • Eat sushi
  • Have a movie make-out
  • Get kissed on the stomach
  • Paint a picture with my hair
  • Watch all the Lord of the Rings Movies in a row without stopping
  • Create a magazine collage made of of nothing but eyes
  • Catch the bouquet at a wedding
  • Be in a band (a realish one)
  • Have lilacs at my wedding
  • Sing at a funeral
  • Read 100 classic literature books
  • Dye my hair black
  • Shower with stilettos
  • Make a prank call
  • Break a window or some other large glass object with a baseball bat.
  • Swing on a garden swing
  • Ride on a gondalier boat
  • Host a music preschool
  • See an eclipse
  • Host a party in which we eat chinese food and listen to Jimmi Hendrix -- I'd call it "Wok and Roll night."
  • Have a song written about/for me
  • Hand out cards that say, "Hello, I just wanted to let you know that you're very attractive.  Have a nice day."
  • Match two of my friends up and have it actually work.  
  • Do some real tye-dye
  • When my hair turns gray... have it be super long
  • Have a license plate that says "Gonzo" on it
  • Draw pictures on a window with lipstick.  Then kiss it.
  • Make a dress out of a tablecloth
  • See a drive-in movie
  • Attend a sock-hop
  • Play paint twister
  • Write things from the comfort of a bubblebath
  • Learn to ride a unicycle
  • Have a candlelit bath
  • Skinnydipping!
  • Have a tea party
  • Attend a rave
  • Perform while pregnant
  • Give a lock of my hair to a lover
  • Lead a Deaf Choir
  • Learn to play snare drum and perform with it at a show
  • Wear the rainbow.
  • Learn to cook steak
  • Write and perform raps.
  • Walk a runway
  • Live Alone
  • Be in a Book Club
  • Wear something with fruit on it.
  • Sleep outside
  • Visit the Taj Mahal... then have something in my house that references it. 
  • Get Henna tattoos
  • Attend a Slam Poetry reading
  • Visit the giant orange moose in Wisconsin
  • Finish all of the Keri Smith books
  • Wear very red lipstick like Taylor Swift
  • Have a mermaid-themed room for a child
  • Beadazzle something
  • Keep a secret forever that no one knows.  (This is harder than it looks for me.)
  • Watch all the James Bond movies
  • Sip soda from a straw with a boy... cheek to cheek of course
  • Wear a dress made of something unpredictable.
  • Spend an entire night in a boy's arms
  • Give to a family in need

1 comment:

  1. oh you... great list! i can think of a quite a few of those that are easily obtainable by YOU!!! keep on it!

    ReplyDelete