Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Shark...

It's been a while, so I guess I could update the world on what I've been doing these past few days...

Now that the boyfriend is gone to Seattle, I suddenly have more time to focus on homework and reading and sleeping and other good do-by-yourself things.  I'm taking two classes this semester -- 4th Semester American Sign Language and Intro to Contemporary Art -- and they've been pretty cool, more or less...

The ASL class turned out to be harder than I originally expected.  I spent two or three hours practicing for the first midterm but still only got 79% on it.  That's the lowest grade I've ever received on a midterm.  Ever.  So now I'm all paranoid that I won't get an A in the class.  So I'm working hard to get 100 percent on EVERYTHING in that class now.

As for Contemporary art, I think I got a shot at an A.  My paper is going to be about Damien Hirst, this guy who  dips sharks in formaldehyde as a metaphor of death.  I don't quite understand it yet, but I think I will once this paper gets written.


The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living

What else?  Oh yes, my new roommates.  I've sort of latched on to my ROOM-roommate, Sammy, who's from California.  She and I have a lot in common and that's pretty cool, seeing as we came from completely different backgrounds and didn't know each other existed before we were set in this room.  She is very brave, very musical, and always looking for a good time.  I have a feeling she may have the key to unlocking my social single self again.  Spending a whole semester with a boyfriend in the ward kind of tunes you out to the rest of the ward population, and now I need to try reconnecting with people.  Sounds fun...

Listening to:  The Edge of Glory by GAGA.  An amazing song, by the way.  Like nothing she's ever done before.  Kind of a Springsteen-esque anthem with a dance twist.  There's this pretty cool sax solo in the middle that gives it some class, and she soars on these high notes I didn't know she could sing when she came out with the Fame.  By the looks of things, this is going to be a pretty good album, methinks.  
Things Going On Today:  Laundry, no work.
Blessings:  Headphones, TA labs, and... sharks.  


No comments:

Post a Comment